REPLACING A TOYOTA CAR KEY
Car Keys are small portable gadgets that are used for locking and opening car doors. Most modern versions are electronic in nature; coming fully equipped with a remote control unit and has the ability to open a door wirelessly from a remote location.
Uses and Importance of ToyotaCar Keys
The uses and the general importance of car keys cannot in anyway be fully expressed. They:
- Safeguard the contents of the cars by enclosing the contents safely and securely
- Are used for locking the car doors to prevent unauthorized access and entry into the car
- They are also used for opening the car doors to let in or let out car occupants
- They aid in abetting burglary thanks to the car alarm functionality
- They offer convenience to the process of accessing the car owing to their remote control capability.
The Need for Replacement
Every quite often, car owners are confronted with the need to replace their car keys. This is brought about by a confluence of factors which include:
- The loss of car keys
- The temporary misplacement of car keys. That is because there could be the risks of duplication of the keys by a stranger intent on gaining unauthorized access to the car at a future date.
- The occurrences of accidents, burglary, vandalisms, and other misfortunes
- The need for upgrading the keys in order to make them compatible with the up-to-date technology
- When the ownership of the vehicle changes hands in order to prevent the temptation by the previous owner to gain unauthorized access to the vehicle once sold
- After the recovery of vehicle that had previously gone missing
How to Replace a Toyota Car Key
The process of Toyota key replacement is usually very hectic and involves the incorporation of several institutions such as the Police Department, Car Dealer, the Insurance Company and the immediate family members.
Toyota does provide two types of keys for its models. These are: Door key, also called “Valet Key” or “Regional Key”; and a Remote Key or “Immobilizer Key”.
In the event of a loss of either or both keys, the company requires car owners to approach the nearest dealer for a replacement request. The main requirement is proof of car ownership; and the service as a whole is usually provided for at a fee.
The process of replacement of the Toyota car keys largely depends on the type of key. They are explained hereunder:
Replacing a Regional/Valet Key without a Remote
- Visit the local Toyota dealer.
- Provide the dealer with the Vehicle Identification Number and the driver’s license.
- Establish proof of car ownership. (Car Manual, Insurance, vehicle title, car log book e.t.c.)
- Pay the service fee. (This varies greatly depending on the vehicle model, make and the year of manufacture; and is adjusted from time to time).
Replacing an Immobilizer Key with a Remote Control Unit
- Tow the vehicle to the local Toyota dealer.
- Provide the dealer with the Vehicle Identification Number as well as other proofs of ownership such as Car Owner’s Manual, Car Title, Driver’s License, and Insurance Contracts
- Pay the service and the programming fees.
- The dealer thereafter programs a new code into the brand new remote control